Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Day Of Rest

It is midday on Sunday here in Nepal (1:40am central time) and today we staying close to the hotel. The Nepal government is again voting on a Prime Minister today which means most shops and all of the roads are closed. We have been told by the person working with us here in Nepal (Bobby) that it is not safe to travel through the city today. We are trying very hard to remain positive and we are taking each hurdle and each decision one at a time trying not to look too far down the road. Tomorrow we will visit our child in the morning and then file some paperwork with our embassy (we are expecting the same treatment as before).

In case some of you don't know, and to be honest I have not made it very clear, here is what we are fighting. For an adopted immigrant to enter the U.S. they must show that they have been orphaned. This can be done one of two ways. First, the parents (both if living) must sign over their rights. Second, after a giving period of time, and substantial documentation (such as newspapers articles about the abandoned child, police reports of the abandonment, etc..) the Nepal government can declare the child an orphan. At this moment there are 80 children in the "pipeline". All 80 have been abandoned. Our embassy says (although they will not give us any documentation) that they have found corruption in the Nepal system. Therefore, if they can't substantiate our documents from the Nepal government they can deny the Visa. They will not tell us how they will substantiate the document. In fact they tell us very little. It feels as if the burden of proof has fallen on us.

Our lawyer here in Nepal and the director of the orphanage have told us over and over that the documents are real. No one can tell us how our government will make that determination. Regardless, we know that we have so many people working on our behalf back home, we have individuals and entire churches and communities praying for us, and so we remain hopeful. We are exhausted, but it is very difficult to sleep. Please continue to help us back home. Your requests on our behalf can't be ignored. We miss everyone and ask that you continue your prayers and support as we will face some difficult decisions in the very near future.

On a lighter side we both ordered hamburgers for lunch yesterday. It just didn't taste like burgers back home. I remembered that they don't eat beef in Nepal so I asked Bobby what the burger was made of - Water Buffalo.

8 comments:

  1. Good Morning from state-side. Dad and I are thinking of you and praying for you. We are proud of you for trying to stay positive and for finding little pockets of humor (water buffalo) and joy (time with the little guy). Stay safe and keep praying, even as all who love you are praying, praying so hard. We love you! Dad and Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Karyn and Michael. I miss you guys, and I can't imagine how homesick you are being so far away from home. But, I'm glad you are getting a day of rest, even if it is hard for you to sleep. I am praying that God will allow your mind to shut down for a short time so you can sleep. I'm praying for comfort and safety and for your continued faith. I love reading your updates, so thank you for being so diligent to post them, even though y'all are going through such a hard time. I know sometimes it is difficult to know what to say, but you have no idea how much we appreciate your willingness to keep us update. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the evening has been as restful as it can be...I know that's not entirely possible. It seems that since he is 3 years old, that's been enough time for him to be considered abandoned. In any case, I agree with Kelli, Erik and I are glad that you are able to update the blog so often. Know that we are always there with you. Thinking of you always,
    Robika and Erik

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just emailed the two offices that you gave addresses, and I got a response from Jordan Sudduth almost immediately. Seems as if they have been working on this nonstop. That boosts my hope more!! Hopefully it does yours as well. They are as passionate about this as all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also emailed the two offices and just received a message from Jordan Sudduth who indicated they are working diligently for a successful resolution. Joe and I are praying for you. Love, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. I do hope the congressional office succeeds. If they make this work, I'll never say another bad thing about a politician!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen And Michael--Well it is Monday morning in Nepal. Please know that we are keeping you in our prayers and asking others to pray for you. We will be contacting our US Senator this week and asking him for his support on your behalf. Keep the Faith and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers always.
    Bob and LaVone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike and Karen,
    We continue to pray for you. We are getting the word out to anyone who will write and help!! Keep your spirits up as best you can. We are all fighting with you!! Love, Athena and Andrew

    ReplyDelete