Monday, September 20, 2010

Senators, Lawyers, And An Ignorant Person

After a week of no posts we decided it was time to let everyone know what we have been doing. Besides trying to readjust to our original timezone, we participated in a TV interview (mostly a human interest story), which has gotten an interesting review (see below), we met with Senator Wicker's staff, and we hired a team of lawyers who specialize in international adoptions. We returned to work today, and it feels good to wrap your brain around something other than anger and worry. Work is a good distraction but be assured we are remaining focused on goal of bringing our child home.

Last Wednesday we were interviewed by WTOK-TV about our trip and the problems we faced (http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/103401634.html). While we have not seen the final TV product, at least one person disagrees with our choice of an international adoption (we have hidden his e-mail so he does not get inundated with hate mail).
------------------------------------------------------------
from Adam Carmichael
to mike.brown@msstate.edu
date Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:23 PM
subject adoption

Mike,
I saw you on the news talking about the adoption that failed to go through. I am sorry about your loss. I do have some comments though. It makes me very upset to see how U.S. citizens are going abroad to adopt when we have our own U.S. babies and kids that are in need of a family. Why would we bring more non citizens into the US to make it more crowded?? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. The government, for once, are doing the right thing by halting the adoptions from abroad and I hope they continue to stop it. We need to start focusing on our own problems in our country and taking care of them first. Please, rethink what y'all are doing and look into adopting from here in our own country.

Adam
amcXX@msstate.edu]
------------------------------------------------------------

While we do not feel that we need to defend or justify our choice to anyone, you might be interested to know that we are on and have been on the domestic adoption waiting list. We just happened to hear from Nepal before anything close to home. We want a family and we feel that a child (any child) would benefit from our home and our love. I am certain many feel like Adam. I am equally certain that they are simply ignorant to the process and the emotions involved in such an undertaking. I am sure more comments such as this e-mail will show up on the comments section of the story (link posted above).

We met with Senator Wicker's staff last Friday and that meeting went well. For a number of reasons they feel that working with Homeland Security, will be easier than with the Dept. of State. The details are not important, but we should have better communication and more information from the folks in New Delhi.

Today we finalized the retention of a group of lawyers who specialize in these types of adoption problems. They have worked with Homeland Security and know what to expect, and they have people on the ground in Nepal who can help with the verification of the documents. While we are keeping our expectations in check, by hiring these folks, we feel we are doing everything we can to see this through to a positive ending. We have no time-line or expectations, but we are continuing to remain positive and hopeful.

We also found out today that two more families have been referred to New Delhi (including our friend Lauren who we traveled with to Nepal). This makes seven U.S. families heading to New Delhi, and zero visas approved. We will likely update this blog sparingly since we will not have a great deal of new information. But please continue to follow our journey and pray for the best possible outcome.

6 comments:

  1. It is truly amazing how ignorant people are about the adoption process. Maybe it should be "easy" to adopt a child from the U.S. or any country, but clearly that is NOT the case. I'm sorry that you've had to hear (and will probably continue to hear) people judge your decisions.

    I just have to ask, do you know this student? Did you reply to him?? If not, you could always try: "Adam, Now that you mention it, we will rethink our decision. Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure why we didn't think of that ourselves."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your generous posts and for being a guiding light of strength and intelligence. Hope to celebrate with you when we bring those kids home! Oh, and nice one from Adam. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just like you said, people are ignorant to the process. Please don't let people who comment on things they know nothing about get you down. I know those comments can only add to the frustration that you already feel.

    I think about you guys and pray for you daily. God bless and good luck. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see you post until last night, and I didn't have a chance to comment then. I love it when people talk about things they don't have a clue about. Obviously the decision to adopt in general is a huge decision, and a lot of time and effort went into making your decision. I hope y'all can look past the comments of stupid people and know that you have the support of the people who love you the most! I'm still praying for that miracle. I know God can grant it if it is His will. Know we are right alongside you with this fight. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for Adam, I suppose everyone has a right to their own opinion.

    But thank a higher power for those of us that see a world without boarders, without race and without judgement. A child is a child....

    Your son came to you on his own and I know he will be with you soon. Continue to believe that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also want to adopt and I choose to have a child from a different country. I hate it when ignorant people come to me with that mess. My choice is my choice. It's funny how the people who say that do not even consider adoption. If they want a U.S. child adopted, then why don't they do it?

    Secondly, how dare this Adam person send an e-mail after he heard the story of the stress you've gone through? Plain foolishness.

    ReplyDelete