Friday, September 10, 2010

Bad News - Coming Home

Nepal gave us the best gift ever and the United States has just taken it away. We had a meeting with the embassy today and learned that our case is being sent to New Delhi. We were told that one of two things will likely happen, New Delhi will request more information, or they will send an intent to deny. When we asked what more information meant we were told that the burden of proof falls on us and therefore we would need to find evidence that he is an orphan. Just how in the HELL would we do that? We met with the embassy today (the 10th) the letter we were given with the decision is dated the 7th - thanks for letting us stick around an extra few days. When we asked about the other 79 people in the pipeline we were told "they will all likely be sent to New Delhi, nothing in any investigations so far would indicate that any case will be approved"

We are devastated with this news and hope we find understanding. We love this child very much and we will continue to fight for him the best way we know. He is 3 1/2 years old and this is his only hope to get out of the orphanage. It costs the orphanages $2,500 U.S. to place children with the Ministry for adoption. Our orphanage is now out at least that and probably more. If they place any more children it will be the younger children. We feel we made the right choice by not adopting him. He can stay in the orphanage where he is taken care of and loved (better off than most Nepali). However, it does not replace what we could have and should have given him. Rumors are that Nepal will now close their adoptions to all international families as they are outraged at the U.S. government (pipeline still OK with Nepal). I have always loved being a U.S. citizen, but we can't always place our requirements or expectations on third world countries and expect them to comply.

We are all leaving Nepal tomorrow, so this will be the last post. Thank you for all of your support, hard work, and prayers - they will never be forgotten!

Michael & Karyn

20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. This is wrong and unfair. My thoughts and prayers remain with you and all these children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heartbroken and devastated for you guys. I'm at a loss for words, so I don't really know what to type. I'm just praying for understanding right now because I definitely don't understand. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leo, yes Leo, put this on our refrigerator many years ago.

    God
    grant me the
    serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change.
    Courage
    to change the
    things I can,
    and the
    wisdom
    to know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike and Karyn,my heart breaks for you as well. It does not make sense. I am praying for you. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not what I was expecting at all. I am so very sorry and heartbroken with you. This just doesn't seem fair at all, and I don't know if I will ever have the right words to say. Know this, you are most certainly loved and I know we will support you in any way we can. Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was NOT what I had hoped to read this morning! My heart is breaking for you both and for this sweet boy. Praying for peace and comfort as you journey home. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our hearts are broken,such grief and pain for both you and that precious little boy. WE love you and continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are no words to express the onslaught of emotions that I feel let alone the ones that I cannot comprehend that you and the other families feel. Just know that you are WONDERFUL!

    Grant, O God thy protection
    And in Protection, Strength;
    And in Strength, Understanding;
    And in Understanding, Knowledge;
    And in Knowledge, the Knowledge of Justice:
    And in the Knowledge of Justice, the Love of it;
    And in the Love of it, the Love of All Existences;
    And in the Love of All Existences, the Love of God and All Goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am soo, sorry! I am like Kelli, there are no words... and I know there is nothing that I can say that can ease your pain right now. God has a reason somewhere as to why you went there and had to stay as long as you did. You may have touched someone in Nepal in an everlasting way. Please consider yourselves hugged - I wish you were both here so that I could give you one. I also pray that God will give you peace and wrap his loving arms around you as well. Love you both! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm heartbroken for you and praying that you find peace with this outcome. Know that many hugs await you and that your friends will give you much love and support when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry. No one deserved this more than you two. I am praying for you and your trip home, as some have said--there is a reason in all that happens, hopefully that will be easier to see soon. I love you two very much, as so many people do! Safe trip. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Mike & Karyn, I am SO sorry... We're praying for you guys, specifically a safe trip home and for peace that passes all understanding to fill you. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mike and Karyn,

    I'm so sorry for all of this and the roller-coaster ride the last month has been. It really is completely unfair. I don't even really know what to say. Know that God is in control of this situation and everything happens for a reason. Be safe coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mike and Karyn,
    We are so sorry for you and this little boy. Its a cruel world when things like this happen with no reasoning at all. As mentioned in other comments, words are hard to come by? What can we say that will give you peace, understanding, reassurances? Its difficult, if not impossible, to find the 'why'?

    We all keep checking this blog daily. Especially today, as we all hope to find an update saying that interventions were made and the news has changed.

    I am sure it provides hardly any comfort, but your journey and your fight are truly inspirational to everyone. We are all proud of you and know you will make terrific parents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. NOT TRUE THERE ARE FOUR OUTCOMES!!!! Hang in there!!!! We have to wait and see what Delhi does -- but they can do four things...and one is WONDERFUL. So don't give up yet!!! If the Kathmandu officers feel that they cannot clearly determine the child’s eligibility for adoption, the file is sent to New Delhi where they will review the investigation to make determination.

    One of four things can happen.

    The file will be reviewed & returned as approved

    They will issue a Request For Information (RFE)

    They will issue a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID)

    They will issue a Denial

    With both a NOID and an RFE, adoptive families will have an opportunity to respond and provide additional evidence. With a Denial you are SOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mike and Karyn,
    My heartbreaks for you. I hoped to never see this post! We all still love you! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't got any other words other than that you are loved and always keep that thread of hope. We love you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mike and Karyn you still don't know what the Lord has for you guys. I know he has a reason for this to be happening like this, but you still got to know he is faithful to see you through these hard times. I feel for you all and Anderson. I can't imagine how you feel, but I know something GREAT is still going to happen. Be safe and take care coming home. My husband has been praying for you and reading the blogs he is at a loss of words and he wishes you the best. Please don't Give UP Hope God still has something for you. I am still praying for you and I hope you have a safe and easy flight coming home. Sounds like you got a lot of family who is going to be there for you when you get home and you know you have tons of friends who love you and are hurting for you. May God BLess call if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mike & Karyn,

    Thinking of you both. I'm so sorry for the heartbreaking news. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our hearts ache for you. God has a plan, but, boy, sometimes it is very difficult to understand the 'whys' and 'why nots'. Perhaps you can find comfort in knowing that you were able to bring joy to a child and his friends for a little while. We will continue to pray for you that someday soon you will be able to bring this little guy home to Mississippi. May God watch over you as you travel home. Bob and LaVone

    ReplyDelete