Wow it can really rain in Kathmandu. Still raining since yesterday and no sign it will let up (we really have no idea since there is no weather radar in Nepal - here is their weather website http://www.mfd.gov.np/). The nice thing about the rain is that the streets are bit less congested than normal. Another visit to the orphanage today and it was good. However, we stayed longer than most visits and he did not get a nap. Things turned cranky about 1:30pm our time. He went into our bags (he knows we keep candy in there) and grabbed an entire candy bar. When we broke off a piece and took the rest away the meltdown began. After some hugs, kisses, and a shoulder ride he was much better. But another trip to the bag, finding it empty, started the cycle over again.
Weekends are hard here because we know that work is not being done on our case. This weekend will be extra difficult as it will last for three days. We have found ways to entertain ourselves and we remain hopeful we will hear good news next week. I wish our embassy could understand that we can't stay here indefinitely.
It has been a long time since we have missed a MSU football home opener. It is quite unlikely that we will see any college or professional football while we are here. Yesterday I (Michael) was so happy to see a show being advertised as "ultimate football". When it finally came on it was nothing but soccer highlights from the past two decades. I should have known better.
Enjoy Labor Day Weekend. Go Bulldogs!
I'm sure the rain must be depressing, and this will surely be a long weekend for you guys. I'll just have to pray you find extra things to do over the long weekend. Sounds as if naps are still important for Anderson!! I guess it was good to get to see that side of him as well so you know what to expect during a meltdown (we have them more regularly these days when Avi doesn't get her way, LOL, but we are working through it). And, hey, Michael, maybe you should create a radar for the Nepal weather system while you are there...you've got plenty of time, right?! Just kidding. And, I'm sure there will be plenty of people ringing their cowbells "responsibly" in your honor on Saturday evening :).
ReplyDeleteMeltdowns happen...naps are very important, but also this little boy is going through lots of stress (just like his mom and dad) during this unexpected time of waiting for the process to be completed. I'm glad that all of you have had this experience now, so that boundries can begin to be set. Its hard to say no, though. Just remember, "I am the grown-up, I AM the Grown-up!"
ReplyDeleteLove and Prayers to all! Dad and Laurie
I think meltdowns are a universal occurrence right now - My sister told me yesterday that Olivia has been pitching fits when she hears the word, "No."
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are always with you guys and I, like Kelli, look forward to reading your blog updates everyday.
Ugh, rain can be so depressing when it goes on for days, and I am sure that it is driving you crazy, Michael, not to have a radar (it would me ;) ). I feel like a broken record, but just hang in there. You can probably catch some or even all of the football game online? That might help with something to do :). I am praying that you will get good news next week and can return home soon. We miss you guys and cannot wait to meet Anderson in person :).
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you guys and for your little guy too!
ReplyDeleteWe missed you guys at the Geosciences picnic at Dr. Wax's house last night! You are so missed! We continue to lift you up in prayer!! The little guy is worth ALL this fuss!! You won't regret a moment of this when you bring him home!!
ReplyDeleteThink of it this way: Who is more determined to win? You or some unhappy bureaucrat? This is a wonderful, perfectly normal kid. (I get grumpy when I'm sleepy, doesn't everybody?) Just think how much fun he will have at football games…
ReplyDelete