Saturday, September 4, 2010

Waiters And Loans

Today is Saturday in Kathmandu so no orphanage visit on the Holy day. We did receive a phone call yesterday from the embassy. They were telling us that they are in the middle of the investigation and that they hope to have it wrapped up next week, although no promises were made. We have adapted well to Kathmandu and have found things to keep us busy so another week or more will not kill us (unless we get the plague). The Nepal people are gracious, helpful, and curious why we are still here. The waiters at the cafe near the hotel love us (probably because we give them American style tips). They tell us stories about where they grew up, their families, where they go to school (many are in college), etc...

So here are some interesting items from the "Money" section of the Himalayan news paper. The national average price for gas is 86 rupees per liter or approx. $4.20 per gallon. With a 10,000 rupee (approx. $125) minimum deposit, savings accounts are earning 5% interest. Home loan rates are currently at 19-21% (depending upon the bank). Young people can get a 15 year loan for a motorcycle at a rate of 29-31%. While we would like to earn 5% on our savings accounts, Nepal can keep the rest.

Have a great weekend. Bulldog fans please Respect The Bell!

4 comments:

  1. I wish you were here for the game today, but, of course, I JUST WISH YOU WERE HERE!!! The phone call from the embassy is fantastic news. Despite no promise, it sounds like this is the first time they've even given you an estimate. I know the long weekend will be rough, but maybe there is a light at the end of this very dark (and very rainy) tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. Sorry I'm so late posting. We had Avi Grace's birthday party this morning at Jumping G's, and it's been quite a day! Wish you could have been here for it. BUT, I guess I'll let your reason for not being here slide :). LOL. I pray that next year Anderson will be able to join us for the festivities! A call from the embassy is positive news indeed. At least you know they are working on things and there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Try to enjoy the things you are doing over the long weekend. Praying the timeline the embassy mentioned comes to fruition and y'all are headed back this way soon. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you finally got a call! State beat Memphis 49-7 and Ole Miss suffered an embarrassing loss to J-state. I can't wait to have all of you home! Put me on the free babysitting list for Anderson! I know you all will be back soon. One day he can look over all of this and know how much he was loved and wanted, even before he was here!

    Remember 2 Timothy 1:7

    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

    I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My recurring mental image all day Saturday: Three-year-old with a cow bell!

    ReplyDelete